Sunday, August 12, 2007

K is for Kindergarten

Me in Kindergarten -1987

Sometimes I still day dream about those carefree days spent in kindergarten. Where your only responsibility is to play, learn to read, add and tie your shoes, and make friends. In the off chance I find myself driving by a playground full of little kids on a school day, I seriously yearn for those days when recess was the biggest part of the day.

A few of my favorite memories from this first step into the scholarly world, include:

• I was a Westwood Teddy Bear. Cute, right? Sadly the school has been converted into an elementary school and no longer are teddy bears. (On a side note - I was a dragon on elementary school, awesome, right?)

• The Kindergarten principal brought her large dog to school often. I can't remember what type of dog it was, but it was big and at school often.

• My class once went on a hunt for the Gingerbread Man, following clues throughout the school until we found a giant gingerbread man on a cookie sheet.

• After watching a performance of ballet in the auditorium, I decided I wanted to take ballet. My mom took me to the local ballet studio above the building next to the bank on the Square to check it out. When there wasn't enough capes for me to participate with the other kids in running around in circles, I decided I didn't want to do it. I'm not sure what I told my mom, but that was my reason.

• Upon being interviewed by my teacher, I proclaimed I wanted to be a nurse when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. This is one of the few times I followed the crowd. I was going to say an artist until I heard all the other girls say a nurse, so I changed my answer. Shame on me. Shortly after that I grew a back bone, so I still maintain I decided at such a young age that I would be an artist. It is not in written history, but it is true.

No comments: