Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cookbook Challenge: How to Eat Supper #17

21st Century Macaroni & Cheese
The Splendid Table's 21st Century Macaroni & Cheese

Who doesn't love macaroni & cheese, right?

The problem with making homemade mac & cheese is it can turn out kinda bland and white. I've made a few versions of different mac & cheese, and I think the How To Eat Supper version might be the best. It has a bit of a kick (thanks to a shake of red pepper) and maintains a cheesy (aka orangey) look.

And actually it tasted better the next day reheated, like the flavors and cheese melded more. The only thing I might do in the future (because yes, I think this will enter the meal rotation) is add cauliflower which is something one of the healthier versions I've used before had. It's unexpected, but doesn't really changed the taste, and a great way to get a serving or two of vegetables into a carbohydrate-heavy meal.

No comments: