Monday, February 08, 2010

Masochistic Mondays: Week 28

The Stats (as of February 8, 2010)
Starting Weight: 188 lbs
Current Weight: 180.4 lbs

Slowly creeping back. Not a good thing. Perhaps I should start modifying the Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe to be less caloric, that way next time I lure people to one of my parties with it and have plenty of it leftover, I don't gain quite as much weight from feasting on it for a couple days.

So we're getting to that part of winter where cabin fever sets in. Where both Mike and I long to escape the windy, cold, sleety, dark days of the Midwest. And where we realize that we've taken the hibernation thing a little too seriously and don't need to pack on any more extra pounds. For the past few weeks there's been talk of joining a gym, and though we've looked into the other options, I think we're set on going back to the YMCA. It's only about a mile from our house, so a nice bike ride when the weather nicens up and it's on our way home from work. All the other options would have us driving past our house after work when we're already tired to get to the gym. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Add to that that one option was basically just treadmills & bikes and the other option would cost nearly $100 a month for both of us, the Y became a clear choice. Sure, it's not as fancy as the other places, but for the amount of money it's got some pretty good equipment & facility options - not to mention classes included. And now that I've dug out my membership card from a nearly two year hibernation, I think the plan is for us to re-sign up tomorrow after work.

That means I better get a new padlock, as I can't for the life of me remember the combination of my original.

In addition to the prospect of having a gym membership again, I've decided to try my hand (or shall I say abs) at Oh She Glows' Whittle My Middle challenge. My motivation match-up partner (via Priorfat Girl) brought it to my attention, um, in December, and here I am finally starting. I know, queen of procrastination here. Anyways, I gave day one a shot tonight and all I can say is, I'm pretty sure I have no core muscles. Out of an approximately 6 minute long workout, I'd be stretching it if I said I made it a minute and a half. It was frustrating and nearly impossible, but I'm going to try and stick with it. Though instead of some of the stability ball exercises listed, I think I'm going to see what the DVD that came with my ball has to offer. Not because I'm hoping they're easier, but because I have a little core strengthen ball and not a big ball necessary to do the things shown on the video.

And though I can't commit to full disclosure (maybe when I make some physical progress I'll show you the before picture of me in little running shorts and a sports bra, but not today, no siree, not today), I will share my rather rough estimate of measurements (someone stole my measuring tape! so I went old school with ribbon, a marker and a 30" ruler, not the most precise method, but will have to do). Perhaps if I find my tape soon, I will rerecord the measurements and edit these.

Smallest Part of Waist: 33.5"
Widest Part of Waist: 38.75"
Hips (largest part of bottom half): 42.25"

1 comment:

Jen said...

No kidding, I've gained two pounds since the stupid Superbowl Sunday.

I've been thinking about it, and I think you probably can make a lower-fat, lower-calorie version of the dip. The real killer is the ranch dressing, but I think you can cut WAY back on the amount and still retain a lot of the flavor. Also, maybe use less cheese on top or some kind of part-skim blend. And definitely eat with celery sticks, not chips (my own personal downfall).