Saturday, August 13, 2011

#apieformikey

#apieformikey


I’ve never read Jennifer’s blog, let alone met her or her family, but word gets around the blogosphere lightening fast.

My heart breaks when I catch glimpses of what happened. How her twitter stream went from happy countdown to vacation to bam!

“He’s gone. And my heart is shattered in a million pieces.”

I can’t even bring myself to watch the video clip she posted a few days later of her daughter dancing with her father. Especially as I watched my own Mikey dance with our new daughter two nights ago trying to pacify Colbie just a bit as I prepared to feed her.

Even though I wasn't able to whip a Creamy Peanut Butter Pie up yesterday on the day his life was being celebrated, I made sure to tell my Mike just how much I love him and he means to me while we were out at our first family dinner in a restaurant commemorating my first full week back at work. Then today Colbie and I set to work making pie.

In honor of her Mikey.

...And in honor of mine.



#apieformikey


Creamy Peanut Butter Pie (gently adapted from In Jennie's Kitchen)

Serves approximately 8

- 8 ounces of oreos
- 4 Tbs butter, melted
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces neufatchel cheese
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Hershey's syrup to garnish

Crust:
- Pulse oreos in food processor to a fine crumb.
- Combine melted butter and crumbs in a bowl and mix well until butter coats all crumb.
- Press mixture into the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Melt chocolate in microwave (start with a minute, stir, and heat more if needed).
- Pour chocolate on top of crust and spread to edges.
- Refrigerate crust until ready to add filling.

Filling:
- Beat heavy cream in chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped cream to a smaller bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- In same bowl, beat neufachatel cheese and peanut butter on medium until light & fluffy.
- Reduce speed and slowly add in confectioners sugar.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Increase speed back to medium and beat until filling is smooth.
- Stir in 1/3 of the whipped cream with a spatula.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Pour filling into crust pan and drizzle with Hershey's Syrup.
- Place pie in refrigerator overnight or in freezer for a couple hours to firm up before serving.


**************

The strength of the blogging community and the power of social media is amazing. The amount of support shown to Jennifer and her girls is overwhelming.

CNN post | pies around the blogosphere | #apieformikey | heartfelt tribute movie






No comments: