Saturday, November 03, 2007

Quick and Easy Soup for a Beautiful Autumn Day

Minestrone

After a couple hours in the crisp but sunny Autumn air raking leaves, I whipped up this homemade Minestrone for Mike and I to lunch on before going home supply shopping.

A great recipe that takes about 50 minutes to finish, prep to eat. And it serves plenty. I was able to freeze enough of the "guts" for us to have entree size meals two more times with the addition of a can of broth (4 cups per frozen container). Sadly I don't know where I originally got it.

Minestrone
• 2 tbs olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 carrots, diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 1/2 tsp dried basil
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 28 oz can of crushed tomoato
• 48 oz can chicken/veggie broth
• 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 3/4 cup elbow macaroni
• salt and pepper
• grated parmesan

Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 min. Lower heat to low-med. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and cook for 10 min or until veggies tender, stirring occasionally. Add a bit of water if mix is too dry while cooking. Add basil and oregano and stir to combine. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to boil. Lower heat to low-med, add beans and macaroni and let simmer for 15 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parmesan.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oooh, that looks yummy! I'm the reverse of you, I don't cook. I'm the girl who usually burns the garlic and is always unsure as to whether meat is fully cooked.

Love your blog, though, so cute! I'm trying to get into this whole blogging thing, and need to make mine more inviting/interesting.

Took me awhile to figure out who you were, but once I saw Mike as Harry Potter (hilarious!!)...

Hope you're doing well, and nice to know I have a blog friend :)

Felicia said...

Wow! That looks incredibly delicious.