Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So, this is what it feels like.

Through the Looking Glass
Project #9 in '50 in 2008' Challenge - Fetching in Raspberry

Look at me. Making things for myself! Thanks Swap Buddy for giving me the push.

I started these gems on Saturday during our drive to St Louis, and finished them last night (after staying up past my bedtime). A pretty quick knit. And my first cabled project!

Cabling is not hard. I was really nervous to start these having never done a cable, but I'm glad I jumped right in because I had nothing to worry about. Didn't even need my 'Knitting for Dummies' book.

I did make a slight variation to the pattern, I edited out one cable repeat on the cuffs, but added that number of rows in the plain 4x1 rib. It was done on mistake while I was a bit distracted by some weather we were driving through, but I had been thinking there were too many twists when looking at the pattern photo.

Last night I was nearing the end of mitt number two, though my self-imposed bedtime was rapidly approaching. I was determined to get them done. I was on a roll, could see the end in sight and really wanted to wear them.

As a result, they did not come off my hand today until I got home to make dinner. I was surprised at how warm they were actually keeping my hands, I hadn't really noticed until they were off. I had been apprehensive because they barely come up to the middle knuckles. I feared my fingertips would still be freezing, but not so much. Perhaps I don't need to make another with longer finger covers.

It's a nice feeling to make something solely for myself, I might actually start doing it more often. I saw a sweater last week on my Stitch N Bitch calendar that I'm really drawn to. So maybe that will work it's way into the mix in the coming months.

But for now, I'm going back to creating for other people. I've found in the past few weeks since I've challenged myself to complete 50 projects this year, that I've been pretty productive. And better yet, I'm enjoying it immensely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great!! You are so quick too. I haven't started my project from the swap yet. I'm guessing there was enough yarn.... I was worried but the people at my LYS said there would be. But anyway, they look very nice!!

Anonymous said...

They are so cute! I've made a pair for my daughter but now I need some for when I'm online. My hands get so cold when I type.