Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Lesson to be Learned

Teal Foliage
Project #9 in '50 in 2009 Challenge' - Teal Foliage

This may be the project that finally convinces me to get my ass in gear and knit gauge swatches.

Teal Foliage here caused me a lot of heartache.

It was my first lace pattern and despite not being hard, I messed it up not once, not twice, but three times.

That's right, I started this project 4 times. Each time (but the last) somehow getting an extra two stitches (always 2) about 20 rows in. Each time I tried to rip back to where I knew I had the proper stitch count, but the lace pattern made it tough for me to figure out how to pick up all the stitches. So I would just start over.

I learned my lesson by the fourth time and kept stitch count every patterned row. Though it was tedious having to count 96 stitches every other row, it helped me keep on track and I was able to remedy any problems almost immediately.

But I'm still not entirely happy with it. It's just too big. I mean I like that the pattern doesn't get stretched out when you're wearing it, but it's not cozy. And despite that I can probably pull off a larger hat (with my larger than normal noggin), I'm sure the recipient has a normal head.

I may end up reknitting it completely. But not now.

I need to move on for the time being, and you can bet I'm going to test gauge when I start the next hat on the list tonight at craft group.

No comments: