Saturday, May 02, 2009

One for Me, One for You: March Fabric

March 2009 - Sarah's Choice
My March Choice - Heather Ross' Mendocino Ivory in the Sunset colorway


March 2009 - Darcy's Choice
Darcy's March Choice

How can you not love Heather Ross' fabric?

I just wish I had been into fabric earlier because I missed out on a lot of great prints. I was happy to get my hands on this Mendocino, though and it just makes me happy looking at it.

Any ideas on the perfect way to use my remaining 3/4 yd?

It's funny, that's the problem I have. I fall in love with a print, but I'm not much of a sewer so I have no idea what to use the fabric for. That is also why I limit myself to buying only a yard. No reason to horde massive amounts of fabric if I can't figure out what to do with it.

Though wouldn't it make an awesome summer blouse? I'm guessing I don't have enough to do that, but I think it's still pretty available (shocking, I know, I jumped on this bandwagon before it retired).

The thing is the only clothes I've ever sewn were a pair of boxer shorts and a vest back when I was like in 5th grade. The thought of making a blouse scares me royally. But as of late I've gotten it my head that I'm ready to start making some clothes to wear, and then reading Made From Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich kinda drove that idea into high gear…that and the hat that I'm all hatted out on the knitting front. So I think my next project will be a knitted cardigan or shrug. I ripped out an old project that I realized I would never finish and wound all the yarn into balls and skein-like things, so I'm ready. I even weighed it all, so I know my approximate yardage and though my initial pattern won't work out because I don't have enough yarn, I think I found a replacement I'll like. I have one or two more projects on the table (like Nibbler's doggie diaper bag!) that I'd like to finish up before next weekend, and then I'll be ready to start…just in time for summer, ha! Luckily air conditioned offices are pretty chill, so a shrug will probably come in handy.



..................................................

By the way, if anyone recognizes any of the fabric (like the burnt orange cotton plant print above) that I post but don't have the stats for, I'd love to know! Please share, I'd like to make the record of this 'One for Me, One for You' project as complete as possible.

There are a few others as well, like March and January.

No comments: