Thursday, November 05, 2009

Cookbook Challenge: How to Eat Supper #12

Crisp Cucumber Shrimp in Retro Goddess Dressing
The Splendid Table's Crisp Cucumber Shrimp in Retro Goddess Dressing

As I'm pushed more and more out of my comfort zone while doing this cookbook challenge, I'm beginning to realize that maybe I am a picky eater.

I try most things. But I prefer comfort in the familiar. So if I don't particularly enjoy my experience with a new food, it is most likely I won't try it again - I'm not saying that I'll never give something a second shot, but the chances are slim or at least far apart.

For example, avocado.

A couple years ago, I made some sort of taco salad from a Martha Stewart publication that featured chunks of avocado. I didn't really enjoy the taste or texture, despite knowing that avocado is like a super fruit or something, so I've held off trying it again. Then came this salad. I was looking a simple dinner that would be fast to make and relatively healthy and I'd had a taste of a green goddess dressing at a local restaurant, so I decided to give it a shot sooner rather than later. Now I don't remember that taste of the green goddess dressing being overly avocado-ey, so I wasn't concerned by the amount of avocado this recipe called for. But the ratio of avocado to creaminess in this dressing was too much for me. It wasn't bad, just not my favorite (though I did love the lettuce interspersed with crisp cucumbers and lemony shrimp). The dressing was too chunky and not dressingy enough, so in the future I would add cream or something to thin it out, make it go over the salad easier, you know, and as a bonus mellow out the avocado taste.

Trying avocado again makes me not a picky eater, right? I mean, the fact that I tried it in the first place makes me not picky, right? A picky eater would put their foot down immediately to trying anything new and instead whip up a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, right?

Gosh, I'd really hate for Mike to be right on this one.

I mean, sure, eggs aren't my favorite but I'll eat them certain ways (scrambles - ok; egg white - ok; hard boiled & warm - ok; runny yolk -not ok; cold - not ok). Crap, that makes me picky, doesn't it?

And just because I don't like pancakes, doesn't make me a picky eater…

I mean, people are allowed to not like certain foods without being considered picky. Just because I don't like cake doesn't mean I'm picky. For heaven's sake, when I was a wee one I would even eat escargot! That's like the opposite of picky especially for the under 5 crowd.

Wow, who knew that one little picture would turn into such a desperate plea for validation! Though it does have me interested now as to how many people would consider themselves picky-eaters. My guess is very few, as it has such a negative connotation.

No comments: