Monday, February 22, 2010

Masochistic Mondays: Week 30

The Stats (as on February 22, 2010)
Starting Weight: 188 lbs
Current Weight: 179.5 lbs



I have come to the conclusion that I am the world's slowest runner.

After restarting Couch to 5K last Monday, I've been sticking with it and even threw in an additional run on Sunday (a timed mile run). My previous 4 days on the indoor mini track at the Y have been relatively non-congested. Sure, a couple days there was another runner or two using the track (except for Thursday when a running group met there for training forcing me to run a treadmill for the first time ever) or a Zumba class going on in the center of the track, but today the track was a-hoppin'. As it wasn't super crowded, I decided to stick it out (I enjoy watching the Zumba class while I run, it's entertaining) and do week 2, day 1 on the track. And well, I learned that I am slow. Very very slow. People passing me left & right, it's almost embarrassing, but then I tell myself at least I'm making an effort and someone has to be the slowest. Right? Granted, it would be nice if the slowest one on the track was 80 years old or extremely obese, but it's not - it's me (though I must note, neither of those options were using the track, so I wasn't getting passed by a 90 year old or anything).

Despite starting to exercise again, you'll note that my weight has fluctuated again. This month has been so out of the ordinary for us, as we have been eating out a lot. Whether it's getting together with friends, going out for a special dinner or being on the road, we've just ended up not eating dinner at home very much. And since starting my new job, I've been eating lunch out much more often as well. It's a habit I need to break pronto. And hopefully with this past weekend out of the way (and a trip to see my ill grandfather 6 hours north - there & back in about 28hrs total), we can get back to our norm and hopefully being able to monitor what goes in, in addition to the exercise, I'll begin to push through this plateau.

1 comment:

Jenna Z said...

Do not pay any attention to who is faster or slower! Believe me, runners are REALLY friendly (I would have never believed that) and no one is looking at or judging you. Everyone started somewhere, at a snail's pace! I am doing the Penguin in the Park in Decatur in March and then the Illinois Marathon 5K in July. Any chance you would be up for one of those? And then August is the BIG one, the St. Jude relay!