Monday, August 08, 2011

Masochistic Mondays: Reboot

My New Road Bike

Seven weeks postpartum. Determined to get moving again.

My whole pregnancy I said it was my goal to participate in the Women's Biathlon come September like I did last year.

I even had Mike on board with the idea. Plotting ways to get me away from the baby long enough to train. And promising to buy me a road bike as a post-pregnancy, "way-to-go!" gift.

Little did I know how much birth hurt.

So here I am 7 weeks postpartum and just getting the doctor's OK to resume "normal activity" – just in time for me to return to work full-time and a mere 7 weeks out from the planned 20k (10.4 miles) bike and 5k (3.1 miles) run.

That's 7 weeks to go from 5 months of completely sedentary pregnant lifestyle to biking and running several miles in the span of about 2 hours – with an additional 30 lbs on my frame from where I was last year for the event.

But still I haven't given up on the thought of participating in this event. It's non-competitive, so I have that going for me. And I figure if I can stand to be on a bike for 20k, then I'm good to go because if worse comes to worse, I can walk the 5k with many of the other participants.

1st Spin on the New Road Bike

So Friday Mike, Colbie and I headed out to Scheels, the new mega sporting goods store in town, to hook me up with some appropriate cycling gear to go with the new bike Mike found me on Craigslist – padded butt shorts, cycling jersey & a more aerodynamic helmet than my Target special.

Turns out the new mega store didn't have what we were looking for or if they did it was out of my price point, so we ended up at the local bike shop, Biketek.

Local business pulled through again, folks. Everything I wanted (for the price I wanted, which was an added bonus).

Newly outfitted, I headed out to one of the local trails Saturday evening to test out the bike for the first time. I'm happy to report I made it over 9.5 miles with only sporadic discomfort. I was slow as molasses, but relatively pain-free, so I think the biathlon will be in my near future as things can only get better.

Now to get my running act in gear…

No comments: