Thursday, August 10, 2006

Corners of My Home

DSCN0517

Welcome to the first corner of my home (I love these theme days of the week, they help me post, and give me something to post about)!

I often find myself coming to this very spot in our new home when I'm feeling overwhelmed, or upset, or just need some time to myself. It's a perk to having my own "studio" room.

Yea, I know I'm married now, I'm not supposed to have my own separate bedroom and really I don't, it's just my own space. I'm used to having my own space. The room looks nothing like a studio, except maybe the long wooden table with the sewing machine on it.

It's part craft room, part guest room(oh, yes, that lovely little couch is actually a fold out futon), part Sarah.

It is definitely the one place in our new place that screams out "comforting Sarah". That teddy bear which I cuddle was given to me by Mike, our first real Christmas as a couple. It's hard to believe that was 5 years ago. He's large enough and cushy enough to make a great pillow. There's a nice little couch there, by big airy windows (something I have always dreamed about) that look into a woods. Hanging from my lamp is my latest addition, a coconut and bamboo windchime with fun, bright hiabiscus flowers handpainted on, from Darcy all the way from Hawaii. They make a lovely natural sound, and aren't annoying since they just pick up a hint of breeze from the window. It's nice to have something calming there, but what's even better that it's a constant reminder of Darcy. It really sucks that she's so far away now and only comes home for a couple weeks at a time. It's hard being without a best friend.

Hmmm, well, I'm not sure I'll be sharing any more corners of my home. I don't really have anything great to say, plus our house is still a work in progress, not totally "lived" in yet. Maybe as time goes on, the stories will naturally come out, instead of me forcing them (I'm not the greatest story teller, if you can't tell).

No comments: