Thursday, April 19, 2007

It ain't bad…Eggplant

Eggplant Parmesan

I have little to no experience with egg plant, mom says she tried to cook it once, but it tasted awful. I personally don't remember this, even though it happened in the last couple years. So when Mike and I went to the produce section of the real grocery store this past weekend, we had no prejudices. The zucchini seemed too swishy, so we took the next best appetizing-looking vegetable…an eggplant.

I really had no idea what to do with it, but since when has that stopped me, right?

I remembered Mike's mom ordered Eggplant Parmesan once when we went to Olive Garden and decided 'why not?'

After looking online at a couple recipes, the above is what I came up with. And it was good. Yum!


Eggplant Parmesan
4 servings

• 1 eggplant
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 or so cups of italian breadcrumbs
• 1 jar spaghetti sauce
• shredded cheese, your discretion
• parmesan cheese
• basil, fresh or dried
• spaghetti, boiled al dente

1) Peel and thinly slice egg plant
2) Dip slices in egg and then cover in breadcrumbs
3) Bake slices in a 325 F oven on a greased baking sheet, 5 minutes each side
4) Spread sauce into a large baking dish, layer eggplant on top of sauce
5) Sprinkle with parmesan, shredded cheese and top with basil
6) Bake in 325 F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown
7) Serve 3 slices on top of a bed of spaghetti noodles



Not only did I bake a wonderful dinner last night, I also baked Amish Friendship Bread… one loaf at a time. No pictures, sorry. But the sugary, cinnamony goodness…yum. Wonder how long those loaves will stay around? 2 hours of baking, plus an hour of prep and a late night run to Walgreens for a 51 cent box of baking soda (that I had to use my debit card to buy - ugh) was worth it.

I have 3 starters to pass to friends now. In a city that I only know a couple people, hmmm.

1 comment:

Carin said...

Hi Sarah!

Thanks for your letter, I really enjoyed reading it. I'm about to mail your letter, I hope you'll get it soon. It's nice to see this eggplant recipe, I'm interested in trying it out.

Carin