Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Homemade Artichoke Pizza

Homemade Artichoke Pizza

Gone awhile, huh? I've been cooking and knitting pretty hardcore in my free time since my last post. I do have crafty goodness to share, as well as a few good eats.

We've actually had this homemade artichoke pizza twice in as many weeks. Time number 2 wasn't as good, as I had froze the dough (perhaps not properly), but it was still plenty yummy.

I definitely recommend going the whole ten yards as making your own crust as well.

Homemade Artichoke Pizza (makes 2 - 12" pizzas)
dough
• 2-3 cups of All Purpose Flour (AP)
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Sugar
• 1 cup 100 degree F water
• 1 pkg Rapid Rise Yeast
• 1 tbs Honey
• 2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• cornmeal

toppings (to split evenly between the 2 pizzas)
• 1 jar (15oz) Roasted Red Peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 jar (~12oz) Marinated Artichoke Hearts, chopped
• 4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• approx 2 cups mix of Mozzarella & Sharp Cheddar shredded cheese

1. Add 2 cups of AP, Salt & Sugar in a large bowl. Mix.
2. Add Yeast to water, and let proof until yeast is dissolved and water is milky.
3. Add Yeast, Honey & EVOO to dry ingredients. Mix with a dough hook until dough pulls from sides. If still sticky, add additional flour.
4. Transfer dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm spot (I usually set my oven to the lowest temperature, let it heat up, then turn it off for 10 minutes before I set the bowl in) for 2 hours, or until doubled.
5. Divide in two. Roll out crust onto a pan dusted with Cornmeal.
6. Bake crust at 450 degrees F for 5 minutes.
7. Remove crust from oven and brush with additional EVOO. Sprinkle Garlic, Artichokes & Red Peppers evenly . Top with a mix of Cheddar and Mozzarella.
8. Bake an additional 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Nick Ramos said...

I love to cook as well... So I'll make this...sounds yummy!