Thursday, December 25, 2008

Parade of Gifts #1 - The Sock Monsters

Luey
Project #35 in '50 in 2008 Challenge' - 4 Sock Monster Gift Card Holders

We have a bit of a tradition each Christmas giving our parents, sister and brother gift cards. I know it seems like an impersonal gift, but we like to give each of our parents the chance to go out and have a nice dinner together free of charge. And our siblings get the chance to buy some stuff the really want or needs on us. The gift cards are just a bonus to the real presents we put together for them.

I try to make the gift cards presentation a bit more special since I've got skillz (last year was a bust for some reason).

Mac

Last year I saw this idea on Molly Chicken and wisted it immediately. Knowing it would make the perfect presentation for gift cards, that everyone could keep or continue to pass on (nothing like recycling/reusing, right?). Like I mentioned, last Christmas fell through, but I made sure to get them ready this year.

I picked up some Christmas novelty socks at Walgreen's on sale, used some buttons from my stash and made sure to add a loop for ornament-zation, and waala! We had 4 sock monster getting ready to gobble up some gifts cards.

Let me tell you, I've never made a sock monkey or anything, so I did not know what a pain working with socks is.

Nearly clogged the machine a few times. Luckily, I didn't. But there was some cursing.

Sock Monster Gift Card Holders

Now I must start planning for next year. And I must admit, I'm a little stumped. Thankfully there are 364 days before I have to have it figured out.


I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We've gotten back home after a massive, two day journey, including: A 6.5 hour drive to my hometown in sleet, freezing rain, ice, wind and snow…not to mention those broken windshield wipers that nearly made me make Mike turn around and head for home; Trips between a few suburbs seeing grandparents and family; A brief visit with a dear friend who I haven't seen in 2 years; A patient pup, who was better than could ever imagine in a jam-packed car over way too many hours; A present & cookie-crazy four-year-old; The ice slick that was my in-laws neighborhood (we didn't slip or slide our entire journey…until our last stop, when we pulled into Mike's parent's cul-de-sac and got stuck!); And the wonderful present that Mike gave me before we left to help pass the hours in the car…an iPod Touch (once we get our new wi-fi set-up this weekend, I may never leave my bed, I'll just lay there an surf the internet, play Tetris and watch tv shows on my iPod).

Now back to work tomorrow. Ick.

No comments: