Friday, August 07, 2009

Cookbook Challenge: How to Eat Supper #1

"Drippy" Mexican Sweet Corn on the Cob
The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper - "Drippy" Mexican Sweet Corn on the Cob

After being inspired by reading 'Julie & Julia,' I've decided that I need to embark on a bit of cooking challenge of my own. No, no mastering french cooking for me (I mean, for heaven's sake, I just decided to get active and lose some weight), my task is more simple.

I've decided to finally get use out of all those wonderful cookbooks I have. Typically I'm drawn to cookbooks with wonderful photography, I usually find one recipe that draws me in immediately but then I pretty much don't venture further into the book.

Sad, I know.

Now's the time to rectify that. I'm attempting to conquer 'The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper' and its 95 recipes in the next 365 days. Hopefully with that nice cushion I won't be eating too many "fancy" dishes at once - helping keep the calorie consumption in check, therefore not derailing my 5K plans and the health benefits of running.

So tonight I dove in, having flipped through HTES earlier in the week to find something that would go with the Salmon Burgers we had on the tap, picked up some fresh sweet corn and set out to accompany the burgers with some "Drippy" Mexican Sweet Corn on the Cob.

Not to complex, but a nice change from your typical sweet corn with butter and salt.

No comments: