Monday, August 03, 2009

Masochistic Mondays: week one

The Stats (August 3, 2009)
Starting Weight: 188 lbs
Current Weight: 186.7 lbs

So far, so good. Though I must admit when I weighed myself yesterday, I was down 4 lbs - did it again today for an "official" reading and wii fit said I had gained 2.2lbs in less than 24 hours. Granted I went a couple days without jogging, probably ate too much bread, didn't drink enough water and was wearing jeans this morning instead of pj pants so a lot of things could be contributing to such a large change. I decided to go with the "official" Monday morning readout and put the glorious 4 lb drop behind me. Lesson learned, though daily readouts can keep your weight in check, perhaps during the weight loss stage it will only lead to obsessiveness - so Monday morning weigh-ins only (ok, maybe I'll do a mid-week one, just to make sure I'm on track & at least not gaining).

The transition has been tough at times, but bearable. 3 days of walking/jogging did not kill me, though had you asked me Tuesday, I was pretty sure I'd never be able to walk up & down stairs or use a toilet again. Miraculously after day 2 of Couch to 5K, I wasn't more sore, I was actually less sore - stairs no longer my enemy.

Speaking of friends and enemies, water and I are becoming more acquainted. We used to be BFFs, having me drink at least 2 - 32oz bottles a day, not counting what I may drink from a glass at a meal, but we've had a falling out in recent years and my consumption has been no where it should have been. I'm working on drinking at least one 32oz bottle daily, and then I'll work up from there. I have found that the more water I drink, the thirstier I am. Odd phenomenon, huh? My guess is my body has been perpetually dehydrated for years, and now that my cells are getting a taste of the sweet stuff, they want it bad…just in case.

And though food and I aren't enemies by any means, we are trying to "take a break" from each other. You know, not spend SO much time together each day. Instead of eyeballing serving sizes or ignoring them completely, I've been reading nutrition labels to find out what the proper serving is and then using the lovely orange digital kitchen scale my mom got me a couple Christmases ago (yes, I actually had an orange kitchen scale on my wishlist - what can I say, I like orange, especially in my kitchen) to actually weigh things out before eating. I find myself hungry at times, but I've started using SparkPeople to track what's going in so I know I'm getting enough calories, my body just needs some time to adjust to not eating anything and everything anymore. I remember my first go around with weight loss, a day I went to lunch with my dad at a hometown restaurant while home on break, and I couldn't finish the fries that were served with my BLT. Today I don't have that "problem" but I look forward to the sense of accomplishment I'll feel when without thinking about it or making the conscious decision there are fries left on that plate.

No comments: