Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One for me, One for You: June Results

June 2009 - Sarah's Square
Sarah's June Square: Project #33 in '50 in 2009 Challenge'


June 2009 - Darcy's Square
Darcy's June Square: 'Hip to Be Square'

Should I really even be tracking these by month anymore?

I mean, for heaven's sake, I just finished my so-called "June" square at the end of September…and really I only finished one of my two June squares. I've been kinda slacking off on my own versions of the square lately. Understandably, I hope, after finishing the yo-yo square for Darcy, I just didn't have it in me to look at those darn yo-yos any longer. It took me so long just to make all the required yo-yos for both squares that I just had to put them away for awhile. But recently, with both the June & July squares, since I am so so very late in doing them, I just wanted to get them out the door and into their new owner's hands. So one version of each was created and sent on their merry way. I cut everything in twos and I (obviously) document the finished product, so I'm not concerned about keeping up with the whole point of the project - that we'll have identical pieces.

Before I sent out my latest two squares, I laid all the square out on our bed just to see how much longer we need to keep going. And actually, with some sashing between the squares, I think just on more month (August) will be enough for a good size blanket. It won't be a bed blanket, but one large enough to cuddle on the couch and really that's all I'm looking for. Something big enough to actually cover me comfortably while laying on the couch (unlike my concert tee shirt quilt which requires curling into a ball to cover me fully).

Darcy actually has a pretty neat idea of how to quilt her version, which I am really excited to see. I, on the other hand, will probably just quilt around each square. The thing that has me hung up now is what color sashing I'll use. The colors of these blocks are all over the place. I'm not even sure a simple white or black will work as we have creams and browns interspersed throughout. I may have to get your opinions once I get everything done and laid out again. More ideas are better than too few, right?

No comments: