Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cookbook Challenge: How to Eat Supper #16

Broccoli Casserole
The Splendid Table's Broccoli Casserole

In an attempt to start getting back into a normal routine, the past week I've been pushing myself to get back to things like cooking and daily cleaning. With the start of the new job and trying to get adjusted things became crazy on the home front. Dishes piled up, cluttered messes were everywhere, we were eating off the same giant meal for a week.

But now things are getting back to normal. I'm tackling messes 30 minutes at a time, and dinner one recipe at a time.

As I tackle more and more recipes from How To Eat Supper, I realize that not all recipes are winners. They might suit some people, but just because I like a cookbook doesn't mean I'm going to like all the recipes. I'm glad I've committed to trying them all though. I've found that some recipes that I would have never thought to try are ones we turn out to really love.

And it's funny that the opposite can also happen. This broccoli casserole was definitely on the to try list.I mean you can't go wrong with broccoli casserole...I thought. This version uses bread, not rice. There's also sugar in it, weird I know.

Sweet and bready (eggy bread, not my favorite) = we will not be trying this again. It's good to know, plus kinda fun to know that my cookbook had real notations to guide me (or other family) in the future. Like an heirloom in the making.

No comments: