Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cookbook Challenge: March/April 2010

Coriander-Orange-Scented Red Lentil Soup
How to Eat Supper #34: Coriander-Orange-Scented Red Lentil Soup

Doh, didn't keep up with my plan for writing a blurb about each recipe after cooking it. Now it's probably been over a month since I made this and all I can remember is it was good. I must really get better at uploading photos from my camera.

Basically I love soup, and I would be hard-pressed to find one that I did not enjoy. This lentil soup has a interesting combination of orange and coriander, which was enjoyable, but also a bit overwhelming in the sense that I wasn't able to enjoy it the next day. Definitely a one meal sort of soup. Luckily I have a husband that will eat the same leftovers for a few day. (thanks hun!)


Pan-Browned Scallops on a Bed of Bacon & Brussel Sprouts
How to Eat Supper #35: Pan-Browned Scallops on a Bed of Bacon & Brussel Sprouts

I tried to give brussel sprouts a second chance and I thought that I may have enjoyed them as I popped the first caramelized halves in my mouth. But I wasn't able to get through my half of the brussel sprouts. Even the bacon couldn't get me through them! I know, how is that even possible, bacon makes everything better. Lesson learned, brussel sprouts will always need to be an accent for my meals, never a main part.

Cheater's Homemade Broth
How to Eat Supper #36: Cheater's Homemade Broth

I'm not sure whipping up this homemade broth was really worth the effort, especially when I was using it in a "cream" soup that was heavily flavored with curry. I may try using this base again if I were going to make a chicken noodle soup or something with similar simple flavors. But for more intense soups, I'll be sticking with my box of chicken broth.

Curried Cauliflower Cream Soup
How to Eat Supper #37: Curried Cauliflower Soup

I am always tempted by cream based soups, mostly because I dream of recreating Panera's cream of broccoli soup at home. As nearly every cream soup I make at home contains little to no cream, I'm always disappointed. This ended up being another one of those soups where I was ok eating it one night, but couldn't bring myself to eat the leftovers.

Crisp Brick-Fried Chicken with Rosemary & Whole Garlic Cloves
How to Eat Supper #38: Crisp Brick-Fried Chicken with Rosemary & Whole Garlic Cloves

I hate dealing with whole birds. Alton Brown makes dismantling a bird look super easy, but I can never get it apart with a struggle. Another thing I have a problem with when dealing with birds - getting it to brown nicely. I think I'm at around a 50/50 success rate. Definitely not good enough for me.

The crazy thing about this chicken is that it was cooked on the stovetop! Thank goodness for the cast iron skillet I bought a few years ago. And considering this was cooked with a bunch of whole garlic cloves, it was a winner in my book. Oh my, slow cooked garlic...so good! I probably ate more garlic cloves than chicken, haha. Yummy!

Simple Garden-in-a-Pot Soup
How to Eat Supper #39: Simple Garden-in-a-Pot Soup

Definitely the best broth based soup in the book. Maybe only second to cream of corn soup for best in the book. This soup was so good that we made it again a week later...double batch. I didn't think I would like it much because it has cabbage in it, but hey, what do you know, stewed cabbage is pretty yummy. Though I know Mike doesn't like to eat soup in the summer, he may have to put up with it when we have an abundance of vegetables this summer. Seriously you can throw anything in, and it just makes it even more delicious.


No comments: