Thursday, September 03, 2009

The Knitting Elite

Mustard Oceane
Project #28 in '50 in 2009 Challenge' - Mustard Oceane Shawl

Looky there, I finally got around to taking some pictures of the shawl I made at the end July/beginning of August.

My second lace project went much smoother than the first. It helped that size wasn't critical, I didn't end up having to restart a million times. My only real problem came at the end...how the heck do you weave in the ends on such a wide open lace pattern?! I ended up just knotting, which I know isn't kosher with the knitting elite, but it was either that or watch the whole thing unravel during the wedding ceremony.

Speaking of knitting elite, you may remember that I was hoping to enter my first adult-size knitted garment into the state fair. Well, after a slight scare that they didn't receive my $1 entry fee & form in time, I did indeed enter my shoulder warmer in the textile division. After finding out a week later that I didn't place at all, I had to wait another couple weeks for the fair to conclude to receive judge's comments...all I could ask for I guess. At least I have some insight to how the competition is run, and what I can work on next year. Here are the comments I received, “Tension mostly even. Strive for consistent seams - try back stitch method for nicer look. Dec on left & right fronts do not match. Very practical project!” When I went back and examined my piece, holy heck was the judge right, on one side of the front is lined with 2 ridges, the other is lined with three. Hmm, how the heck did that happen?

I already have an idea of what I'd like to enter next year, but it could take awhile, so I probably start working on it soon. You know after I finish Mariah's baby present and Christmas presents and all that other stuff that's coming up rather quickly.

No comments: